There’s an incredible amount of history that took place here. A viking fortress once stood at this site and then around 1204 plans for Dublin Castle were established by King John of England. It served as the center for colonial administration and eventually the seat of all English government for Ireland. In the 1700’s the castle underwent transitions and renovations that today’s castle most closely resembles.
above: present day
below: castle street entrance early 20th century from the national archives.
The Throne Room contains a throne built in 1821 for King George IV. It was originally the Battleaxe Hall in the 1740’s.
The state bedrooms were rebuilt in the 1960’s after fire damage. Margaret Thatcher was the last dignitary guest here.
The State Dining Room formerly called the Supper Room and now also known as the Portrait Gallery. It is the oldest room in the castle.
The State Corridor built around 1758.
Saint Patrick’s Hall was once a ballroom and dates from the 1740’s. It is now used for presidential inaugurations.
Above: The State Drawing Room, built in the 1830’s.
Castle Yard (above: present day, below: early 20th century)
Looking out toward the street from behind the castle entrance gate.
Read more about the history of this beautiful place here: http://www.dublincastle.ie/HistoryEducation/History/